Sorry no pictures yet. It's not downloading correctly.
Well it was fun. But let's share with you the whole story and some good suggestions of DO NOT's.
Friday we headed out to the airport. Of course Thursday night/Friday morning Porter woke up with this deep ugly cough. Not to worry right? I ran to the store before we left and picked up some "super duper" cough syrup. In the back of my head I heard that voice say, "take the nebulizer". Then I quickly dismissed that thought. The airport was crazy busy. We used the kiosk to get our tickets and got upstairs with all the bags. One of the workers came to us saying that to check in bags we had to go downstairs. Craig ran it down stairs and then came and met us back in line. I packed things on our carry on's that would not pass so I had to take them downstairs and check in another bag and go through the metal detectors again. UGH. By the time we arrived at Disneyland it was around 2 pm. It was crowded but we pressed on. First stop, Mickey's house. Porter was a trooper and walked the whole day long. I could tell his asthma was setting in with all his coughing he was doing. I should have taken the nebulizer. UGH! We saw Pluto, Pooh, Tigger & Eeyore that day. We got to the hotel (8 miles away in La Mirada) about 8:30 pm that night (after we called the hotel and said 'where are you?'). Need less to say, this goes on the DO NOT list. We will add to this later, but for now will move onto Saturday.
Saturday it was nice and WARM. 80 degrees and beautiful. We decided to go to California Adventure this day. We grabbed all the fast passes we could and then set off to our favorite 3D movie, "A Bug's Life". Porter was not feeling well at all. His breathing was rapid and heart beat too. He was also running a fever. We rented a stroller that day which was a blessing. He slept a lot that day too. Craig and I traded off on going on the rides with the older kids. We headed back to the hotel around 5 pm that day. I started calling around for a "Urgent Care" to take Porter too. The boys at the bell desk had no clue of one, but one of them called his Doctor who suggested one. The shuttle took Porter and I there, but it was closed. I made the choice to have him take us to the ER. I knew he needed a treatment and I didn't have one. I had spoken with Dr. Hildabrand, who was the on call Doc at our ped's office here in Utah, before we left the hotel. She was worried about the fever and had instructed me that he really needs to be seen. The hospital that Jeff (shuttle boy) took us too was Wittier Medical Center in Wittier, California. It was about 15minutes west of the hotel. He dropped us off at the wrong door, but one of the workers took us around to the ER. It was packed and I was the minority. I checked in and sat by the outside door (only seat available) praying the whole time. There were 3 ladies who came in awhile later. Two were sister (twins I think) and the other one was a social worker for seniors with mental problems. She was my angel. We talked and I felt soooo much calmer. It was an hour later before the "supervisor" took us back to evaluate Porter's situation. He gave Porter some Tylenol and Ibuprofen then sent us back to the waiting room. About 30 minutes later he called us back into the ER and were put in curtain #1. The gentlemen in curtain #2 had been brought in by ambulance and the only thing he did was whined and said OK every once in awhile. A little scary. The Doctor came in and checked Porter over. He ordered X-ray's and a nebulizer. We got both of those done and he started coming around to his old self. By 10 pm the Doctor came back in checked him over again and said the nurse would be here to discharge him and we were free to go. So I called the bell desk who said they would send a shuttle over to get us right away. We'll the nurse never came and never came. I started pacing the hall to give them a clue that I needed to leave. I knew the shuttle couldn't wait around for me (they had pickups at Disneyland at 10 pm and 10:30 pm). By the time the nurse got there it was 10:35 PM. I went right outside and no shuttle. I sat down on the bench out side for awhile and called the hotel. There was no one at the bell desk, but the front desk told me that they tried to come and pick me up but had to leave because of the other pick ups they had to make. He gave me the number of a taxi service. I called them and almost understood what the lady was saying to me. I went inside the waiting room and there were the sisters and my angel still sitting there. She told me that Jeff had come but he couldn't wait. He had given her his cell number and told her to call his cell and not the hotel. Needless to say, he came and picked us up about 11:20 pm (his shift ended at 11 pm). UGH!! What a long long night.
Sunday we decided that we would take it easy. We didn't go to Disneyland or CA adventure. I did go with a shuttle to find a pharmacy. CVS in Bueno Park. We left about 9:40 am and did arrive back to the hotel around 11:00 am. They had problems with my insurance card (who knows why) so I just ended paying for it all. UGH!!! We boycotted the Red Robin Restaurant (it was attached to the hotel and was convenient) and walked across the street to The Elephant Cafe. I enjoyed my Asian Chicken Salad. Porter actually ate Mac & Cheese (just grateful that he ate anything at all). Craig choose a Pulled Pork sandwich (wrong choice). Natalie's chicken stripes smelt like fish, but tasted like chicken. Trevor enjoyed his salad and chicken sandwich. Had we needed to, I would have gone back there to eat. I took the older kids to go swimming for a bit. They enjoyed that. Porter was doing okay. He was upset that he didn't go swimming. Oh well.
Monday we set out for Disneyland at 10 am. Porter was still not at 100%, but he wanted to walk so we let him walk. We stopped at the Bakery there for muffins & cinnamon rolls for breakfast. The peach muffin is the best! We decided to divide and go different ways. I took Porter and went on Buzz lightyear, Finding Nemo, Pinocchio, Pirates, Snow White, Mr Toad's wild ride & jungle cruise. What a full day. By the time that was all over it was 2:30 pm. We were hungry and I was tired of caring Porter and the back pack. Craig and the older kids went on Splash Mtn, Indiana Jones, space mtn and pirates. Plus they stopped for lunch. We headed to do last minute shopping and then back to the hotel to pick up the shuttle to go back to the airport. YEAH! I gave Porter some more ibuprofen and Tylenol. That was the key. He ate chicken nuggets and grapes. Big yeah! And was pleasant and not clinging to MOM. Craig, of course, met a guy who is friends with his cousin and her husband. Its like coming across someone from the east 27th ward (family joke - sorry). We landed early @ 9:20 pm (25 minutes early). We thought this is great! We got the luggage and onto the shuttle to take us to the parking lot. Craig looks over at me and says, "you don't have my phone do you?" He had clipped it onto the pocket of the seat and left it there. We drove around and had him go inside to retrieve it. So much for us getting home early.
So here is the list of DO NOT's.
- Do not let your husband get the "free Disneyland vacation w/tire purchase" from the tire store.
- Do not book a hotel room that is 8 miles away from Disney or that you have to take a shuttle to and from.
- Do not get a hotel with 2 double beds for 5 of you.
- Do not ever forget to listen to the spirit when it tells you anything (especially taking the nebulizer).
We will probably go again - no time soon.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a coincidence, my parents were at D-land on Friday too.
Sorry to hear about your illness struggles with Porter. That's no fun on a trip. But it sounds like other than that (and the travel fiascos), the kids had a good time. I, for one, truly believe that Disneyland is the happiest place on earth. And it seems like we always run into someone we know there!
Should have come to Sullengerland instead. We are much funner. Sorry for all the problems. Hope it was exciting anyway.
Next time, could you be a little more descriptive in your summary. Haha.
Rachel is a bigger fan of D-Land that I am, but that's just because I am not a fan of Southern California like she is. Here's to hoping there's no major incidents on the next trip.
Wow, now I know why I don't go to Disneyland (Disney world it is baby!) :)) I'm just glad that Porter got through this without major complications... I will keep your DO NOT in the back of my mind, especially every time someone calls and offers "free" vacation in exchange for listening to a "short, 90-minute presentation". Yeah right! Alex asked me to say hi to Porter. So "Hi, Porter!"
Post a Comment